[tei-council] P5 use of rend in examples

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 11 06:05:49 EST 2011

On 11/11/11 10:27, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I have put up a crude table at http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/rends.html
> which lists all the distinct pairs of rend value and element name
> in the Guidelines.
>
> there are some weirdo things here
>
>    * the first 2 lines
>    * "case(mixed)"
>    * "small caps" (note space)
>    * "small type flush left"
>    * "scream"
>
> I'd make 4 observations:
>
>    - we should normnalize the it vs italics

I disagree. (and why leave "ital" behind?)

>    - we should rewrite things to not use spaces in phrases

That I do agree with

>    - I think the 'align(center) case(allcaps)' notation, which I think is Syd B's, is cute but misleading
>       in this day and age, as it has not gain any traction or widespread implementation

but it is very specific to Syd's project which has invested quite a bit
of time and effort, however wrong-headed you may think it, in supporting it

>    - we should avoid joky ones like "scream" which are rather specific to a culture and time….
>
> (the latter comes from
> <head rend="scream" type="main">
> Major agrees to enforced no-fly zone</head>)

why is this "joky"? "scream" is presumably a valid term in news paper
headline rendering circs

 > Lou, you may now disagree :-}

I already have. I have already also volunteered to look through the
existing uses of @rend and rectify the obvious eccentricities, while
making plain that the choice of values is a project-specific decision.
There's no point in our saying that with one voice while at the same
time implying that we think everyone should use the same vocabulary for
such things.