[tei-council] P5 use of rend in examples

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Nov 11 16:29:03 EST 2011

+1 from me too. I'm happy to make suggestions about how to handle some
of these in CSS. But I think we need to think about the CSS issue. If
we're going to suggest that people use CSS -- as to be honest I think we
should -- there is no better standard for describing the appearance,
layout, etc. of rendered components of a document -- then we should
agree that we will recommend it, and also agree on the overall strategy
we are going to recommend.

For instance, we might choose to show all @rend attribute values as
valid CSS, or we might choose the sort of bifurcated strategy I usually
use, whereby any @rend value which contains a colon is parsed as CSS,
and any that's not is treated as a class indicator (meaning that it
constitutes the same kind of shorthand as an XHTML class attribute
value, pointing to one or more CSS rulesets defined elsewhere.

There are also some slightly tricky issues to deal with, such as the
fact that block-level CSS values have no effect on inline-level elements
in e.g. XHTML; this is slightly tricky with TEI code because we have no
definitive rules on when an element is inline and when it's block.