[tei-council] P5 use of rend in examples

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 11 08:09:50 EST 2011

On 11 Nov 2011, at 11:05, Lou Burnard wrote:
>> I'd make 4 observations:
>>
>>   - we should normnalize the it vs italics
>
> I disagree. (and why leave "ital" behind?)

so far the "voting" on this is 3:1, would others like to support Lou's
(perfectly defensible) view?

>>   - I think the 'align(center) case(allcaps)' notation, which I think is Syd B's, is cute but misleading
>>      in this day and age, as it has not gain any traction or widespread implementation
>
> but it is very specific to Syd's project which has invested quite a bit
> of time and effort, however wrong-headed you may think it, in supporting it

yes, exactly. all power to Syd, but since its a not a widely-adopted paradigm,
is it sensible to expose it here?

>>   - we should avoid joky ones like "scream" which are rather specific to a culture and time….
>>
>> (the latter comes from
>> <head rend="scream" type="main">
>> Major agrees to enforced no-fly zone</head>)
>>

> why is this "joky"? "scream" is presumably a valid term in news paper
> headline rendering circs

if you show me evidence for that claim, I'll eat my hat^H^H^H^H^H^H sausage James brought me.
I just don't believe (speaking as someone who used to read typesetting specs) anyone every
write "scream" in green ink next to a headline as instruction to the inkyfingered boys.

>> Lou, you may now disagree :-}
>
> I already have. I have already also volunteered to look through the
> existing uses of @rend and rectify the obvious eccentricities, while
> making plain that the choice of values is a project-specific decision.
> There's no point in our saying that with one voice while at the same
> time implying that we think everyone should use the same vocabulary for
> such things.

<cards place="ontable">well, I admit I _do_ think we, the TEI, should recommend and support
a standard vocabulary for obvious uses of @rend, and that the words
we use should be drawn from CSS</cards>

(cf discussion you and I had about support for @rend in my XSL, Lou. I'd
really love to clean that up, and deal with the 90% of cases where @rend