[tei-council] Order, order (was re: layers again)

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 18 06:50:23 EDT 2011

Yes, as James notes, adding the pointing features required for genetic
actually might be useful for non-genetic usages of <change> as well. The
other difference is that the element which groups <change>s
(<revisionDesc> if we stick with the idea) would gain an @ordered
attribute. As currently specified, this is just a yes/no choice as to
whether the order of the child <change> elements is significant.  I
wondered whether it might not be more useful to allow for more
information, e.g. order="time:ascending" order="complexity:descending"
order="none" order="alphabetical". Then I wondered whether it was a good
idea to provide this attribute at all (for temporal ordering at least,
<change>s can  be dated, so the presence of this attribute is an
invitation to inconsistency/redundancy). Any views?

I spent most of my journey home from wburg working on the current draft,
more specifically on checking the test files in the sourceforge
genetic/examples directory. More on that anon.