[tei-council] Licensing - ballot

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 1 05:54:54 EDT 2011

On 1 Oct 2011, at 09:29, Lou Burnard wrote:

> Not sure if I have a vote or not, but I would just like to say that it
> is not up to the licensees to decide which licence applies, surely.

unless I misunderstand what we are voting on,  yes, the licensee
decides, not the licensor. we offer all the material under both
licences, and you take it under whichever one you prefer.
if you have an hour or four to spare, no doubt Ross Gardler
would explain to you in great detail why this works. But it does.

nice woman down at the Halifax bank explained capital gains
tax and inheritance tax to me yesterday. similarly baffling, but true.

> It
> is up to the TEI to say : "text etc" is licenced under CCBY, and
> "software etc" is under BSD2 (minus the stupid clause).

no. if we go BSD, we go with BSD. "BSD rewritten as we
prefer" goes into the fatal territory of lawyers, and non-recognition
by the FOSS community, which blighted things 10 years ago.

> And we have an
> outstanding task to decide which bits go into which category.
I'd say definitely not

> Or is the vote to say that both are applicable to everything? That seems
> nonsensical.

its a well-established technique in the OSS community. Yes, its hard
to grok, but I have never heard anyone report a problem.

sorry to be so polarly opposite.
--
Stormageddon Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente