[tei-council] Licensing - ballot

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 1 05:19:40 EDT 2011

On 01/10/11 08:46, Laurent Romary wrote:
> My count says: LR, PB, SR, SAY, EP, BB
> This is just one enough, but would like to have a hint from the others that they would not get completely depressed if we go in this direction. As we know, a majority may not reflect a shared opinion...

+1

While I agree with whoever it was who pointed out that the codicil
sentence at the end of the BSD-2 licence (saying that the views
expressed in the code/docs aren't necessarily those of the copyright
holder) is completely ridiculous in the context of a standards-like
body, I will vote for this formulation.

Specifically I agree with Lou's understanding that we should present
BSD-2 and CC+BY licences stating that the former is for use of TEI
objects as software and the latter as text and it is up to the user to
decide which way they are using the objects.  To accomplish this,
however, presents other problems.

If I'm understanding correctly this means that the XSLT stylesheets will
need to have both a CC+BY notice and the BSD-2 licence because when I
grab them you don't know if I'm going to be using them as documentary
examples of over modularisation in a book about XSLT programming, or
whether I'm going to be running them.

-James

> Début du message réexpédié :
>
>> De : Brett Barney<bbarney2 at unlnotes.unl.edu>
>> Date : 30 septembre 2011 21:51:14 HAEC
>> À : TEI Council<tei-council at lists.village.Virginia.EDU>
>> Cc : tei-council-bounces at lists.village.Virginia.EDU
>> Objet : Rép : [tei-council] Fwd: kibitzing

>> <laurent.romary at inria.fr>

>>> +1
>> +1 BB
>>

>> Brett

>> PLEASE NOTE: postings to this list are publicly archived
>
> Laurent Romary
> INRIA&  HUB-IDSL
> laurent.romary at inria.fr

Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,