[tei-council] code vs. wiki licensing

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 12 12:48:28 EDT 2011

Wouldn't it be best to keep all our code in the same place? I have no
particular attachment to SVN as a tool (and I love the extra power of
Git), but I am perfectly happy with SourceForge as a host for all this
sort of stuff.

Or are we talking about putting sample code of this kind in a completely
different place to the TEI code base?

On 2011-09-12 17:43, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2011, at 17:34, Piotr Bański wrote:
>>
>> I admit I feel partially responsible for this, because I was among those
>> who promoted the use of the TEIWiki for the purpose of storing code, a
>> few years ago, but some issues have become very obvious since then:
>>
>> * wiki is not a revision-control system for code;
>>
>> * wiki is not even a good display system for code (some stuff has to be
>> escaped because of wiki requirements, there is no syntax highlighting);
>>
> well, yes, that's why I have never put any code in the wiki…. :-}
>
>> A way out could be to provide SVN space for the code
>
> isn't this the sort of thing people use Github for these days? I am
> pondering about moving all my work there.
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Head of Information and Support Group
> Oxford University Computing Services
>
> Sólo le pido a Dios
> que el futuro no me sea indiferente

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL