[tei-council] genetic draft -- big questions

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sun Aug 21 15:06:45 EDT 2011

On 11-08-21 11:59 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> As promised, I have been keeping my nose to the grindstone and working
> on the genetic draft this weekend. You can see the current state of the
> document in ODD format in the svn repository (genetic/p5genetic.xml)
> which is where I am for the moment editing it. For simplicity, I have
> also put a snapshot of it in HTML format on the council's working area
> at http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw21.html
> though I don't guarantee to keep that quite so up to date.
>
> What I need now is some sort of indication from the Council about the
> following BIG QUESTIONS.
>
> 1. Is this draft headed basically in the right direction? If not, what
> are the essential things that must change in it?

I think it does reflect quite well the discussions we had in Chicago,
but see my comments on #3 below.

> 2. Should we announce the existence of this draft (AS A DRAFT) to TEI-L
> now, or do some more fiddling with it first?

You just did, since our archives are public, but in the sense of making
an announcement on TEI-L, I think we should wait until we're all happy
with it.

> 3. The draft still uses the name "<facsimile>" for the element which
> contains an document-level tramnscription along with or independent of a
> collection of images. The workgroup specifically said that they didn't
> like this name, and it is also confusing for those who are accustomed to
> the current P5 meaning for<facsimile>  . What name shall we use instead?
> ("elephant" was what we said in Chicago, but I don't think that was a
> serious suggestion).

I'm still really uncomfortable with mixing the original intent of
<facsimile> with this new elephant; it seems to me to violate the
separation of concerns. IMHO, <facsimile> should be restricted to
defining surfaces and zones, and this genetic markup should be placed in
a sibling element; and I still think that <diploma> is the best
suggestion we had for a tag name.

Thanks for all your work on this, Lou.