[tei-council] 3 subst tickets

Stuart A. Yeates syeates at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 14:14:40 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Gabriel Bodard
<gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Following from the discussion on the subject of the content model of
> tei:subst by a subgroup commissioned by Council in Chicago, three
> tickets have been created or updated respectively, detailing our
> recommendations for going forward. (The subgroup contained myself, Elena
> and James, and we asked Marjorie Burghart and Torsten Schaßan to join us.)
>
> (1) http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3393244: restrict content model of tei:subst
> to tei:add and tei:del (discussion required regarding speed of
> deprecation of other currently allowed elements)

I think:

(a) we should to add a deprecation warning to chapters immediately

(b) that the time frame for dropping support largely depends on how
many places this actually gets used (I don't believe I've ever seen it
in the wild).

> (2) http://purl.org/TEI/FR/2859355: the creation of a new tei:substJoin
> element (semantic sugar for tei:join[@result='subst']), to cater for
> cases where text or other elements intervene between deletion(s) and
> addition(s)
>
> (3) http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3080015: allow milestoneLike elements in
> tei:subst for cases where a substitution spans a line (I disagreed, but
> the group were otherwise unanimous in agreeing to this inclusion)
>
> We would like Council to approve parts 2. and 3., but more discussion
> (and probably a survey of the community) are needed to resolve 1.

I concur.

cheers
stuart