[tei-council] 3 subst tickets

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Aug 17 16:10:21 EDT 2011

On 11-08-17 11:14 AM, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Gabriel Bodard
> <gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk>  wrote:
>> Following from the discussion on the subject of the content model of
>> tei:subst by a subgroup commissioned by Council in Chicago, three
>> tickets have been created or updated respectively, detailing our
>> recommendations for going forward. (The subgroup contained myself, Elena
>> and James, and we asked Marjorie Burghart and Torsten Schaßan to join us.)
>>
>> (1) http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3393244: restrict content model of tei:subst
>> to tei:add and tei:del (discussion required regarding speed of
>> deprecation of other currently allowed elements)
>
> I think:
>
> (a) we should to add a deprecation warning to chapters immediately
>
> (b) that the time frame for dropping support largely depends on how
> many places this actually gets used (I don't believe I've ever seen it
> in the wild).

I'm always inclined to argue against breaking backward-compatibility,
but I can live with it if we can demonstrate that [corr orig reg sic
unclear app damage restore supplied surplus] have never, or very rarely,
been used inside <subst> in the wild. Has any call gone out to the main
list asking about this? I found this post:

<http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0907&L=TEI-L&P=R4196>

this follow-up:

<http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0907&L=TEI-L&P=R4254>

which supports <orig> and <reg>. This one from Matthew Driscoll also
seems to support <sic> and <corr>:

<http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1104&L=TEI-L&D=0&P=6829>

although it's arguable he might place them in <choice> rather than <subst>.

Incidentally, how much of this discussion should take place in the form
of comments on the SF tickets, and how much should be on the Council
mailing list? I've always been confused about this.

>> (2) http://purl.org/TEI/FR/2859355: the creation of a new tei:substJoin
>> element (semantic sugar for tei:join[@result='subst']), to cater for
>> cases where text or other elements intervene between deletion(s) and
>> addition(s)
>>
>> (3) http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3080015: allow milestoneLike elements in
>> tei:subst for cases where a substitution spans a line (I disagreed, but
>> the group were otherwise unanimous in agreeing to this inclusion)
>>
>> We would like Council to approve parts 2. and 3., but more discussion
>> (and probably a survey of the community) are needed to resolve 1.
>
> I concur.
>
> cheers
> stuart

Martin Holmes