[tei-council] <notatedMusic> changes required

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 9 15:05:03 EDT 2011

On 9 Jul 2011, at 19:53, Gabriel BODARD wrote:

> So based on what you suggest below, I would argue that what you need is
> a way to indicate whether what you are pointing to is (a) a
> representation of the music notation in your source document, which may
> be an image or MEI XML, say, or (b) a different kind of rendering of the
> musical information in that document, such as a recording or performance
> of said music.

no. I think the question is whether you're pointing at, or transcluding, not the
type of resource at the other end. the distinction between <graphic> and <ptr>
(else why do we have <graphic> at all)

> The difference between pointing to an image and pointing
> to an XML file or web page should be the difference between <graphic/>
> and <ptr/>, shouldn't it?

no, not in my view.

I think <externalObject> is a generalistion of <graphic>.

But I am as weary of this as Martin is :-}
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente