[tei-council] <notatedMusic> changes required

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 17:45:20 EDT 2011

On 8 Jul 2011, at 21:02, Martin Holmes wrote:

> I think if you spend a lot of your time writing rendering code -- i.e.
> turning TEI code into other formats which will be consumed by readers --
> then it's tempting to see all TEI elements has having or needing some
> kind of intrinsic expected rendering behaviour; when you're writing the
> TEI stylesheets, you're essentially codifying those expectations.

Yes indeed, I fully admit admit my bias. But to turn that around,
if I can't interpret a file in a standardized way, its not interoperable,
so whats the point of it?

If we have no expectation of how to process <ptr>,
then  how do we distinguish between the case of a musical
notation present in the source text (in a format which we can't
put in TEI, and so needs ref to an external file), and the case of
a hyperlink to a musical notation resource in the source file?
if you say, "well, you have to look at the container, <notatedMusic>, which
cannot contain hyperlinks, so courses in the former",
then I will reluctantly accept it, but curse because
you've made my processing more complex.

Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente