[tei-council] <notatedMusic> changes required

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Jul 8 16:02:39 EDT 2011

Hi Sebastian,

Your explanation makes perfect sense, but:

I think if you spend a lot of your time writing rendering code -- i.e.
turning TEI code into other formats which will be consumed by readers --
then it's tempting to see all TEI elements has having or needing some
kind of intrinsic expected rendering behaviour; when you're writing the
TEI stylesheets, you're essentially codifying those expectations. But I
think that's where that information belongs -- in the stylesheets, not
in the XML itself. TEI is supposed to be a long-term archive format,
among other things; if it's used to mark up an existing document, it's
describing it, not prescribing rules for processing it. Twenty years
from now, the notions of linking or transclusion may have rather
different meanings.

To me, this:

<graphic url="foo.jpg"/>

means "There was something in the original text which is represented in
graphical form in a file. Here's where you can find that file if you
need it."

It definitely doesn't say "Here's a graphics file, which you are
expected to incorporate into any output you may be creating from this
file."

But I suspect this is a philosophical difference regarding what we mean
when we mark up a text.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)