[tei-council] <notatedMusic> changes required

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 13:34:31 EDT 2011

Let me try my pitch again.

It is agreed that an element which has an attribute of datatype data.pointer points
to some resource on the internet.  It does not _per se_ dictate what we should
do with that pointer if we render the document.

However, I would say that the behaviour is very strongly indicated by the
element which has that attribute. so

      <graphic url="foo.jpg"/>
and
         <ptr target="foo.jpg"/>
and
<writing source="foo.jpg"/>

all point to the same resource (with no indication of what you might find there, or why
you going there), but the conventional (tho not mandated) behaviour
is determined by "graphic", "ptr" or "writing".

So to my mind

   <notatedMusic>
     <graphic url="foo.svg"/>
        <ptr target="http://example.com/foo"/>
 </notatedMusic>

is a conceivable formulation, and means that if you cannot pull in the graphic,
you should just put it a link which the reader can follow at leisure. If I saw

   <notatedMusic>
     <ptr target="foo.svg"/>
     <ptr target="http://example.com/foo"/>
 </notatedMusic>

it really does not mean the same thing to me.
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente