[tei-council] Fwd: Some more on notatedMusic to the council

Raffaele Viglianti raffaele.viglianti at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 04:40:47 EDT 2011

On 29/06/11 04:02, Lou Burnard wrote:
> I must say I had thought that the proposal was to make the musicNotation
> element itself such a sugared variant on a pointer. Why won't that work
> any more?

Dear Lou,

we propose that <notatedMusic> marks the presence of music notation in
the text, rather than point to a specific representation of it.
This, in practice, makes the difference between:

<notatedMusic>
<ptr target="some.xml"/>
<graphic url="some.png"/>
<desc>Some description</desc>
</notatedMusic>

and

<notatedMusic url="some.xml" ><desc>Some description</desc></notatedMusic>
<notatedMusic url="some.png />

The first is the model that we seek: the presence of music notation is
marked as many times as it occurs in the text, while the different
external representations and the description for a specific bit of music
are handled within the element itself.

The main issue of this conversation is, I think -at this point, whether
<ptr> is acceptable for referring to an external representation of the
music notation, or whether we need a generic element that more clearly
defines the action of including the representation in the document.

If there is agreement that <ptr> is not enough and we need a new
element, I understand Sebastian's hesitation is using <embed> for its
similarity with HTML5. Possibly <extObject> or <externalObject> may be a
good name?

Finally, here is a more real-life example of what a full-blown
<notatedMusic> element could look like:

<notatedMusic>
<desc>First bar of Chopin's Scherzo Op. 39, No. 3</desc>

<!-- an encoding of bar 1 in xml/text format of choice -->
<[ptr|extObject] target="bar1.[xml|txt]" mimeType="..."/>

<!-- an image of bar 1 -->
<graphic url="bar1.jpg"/>

<!-- an audio rendition of bar 1 -->
<[ptr|extObject] target="bar1.aif" mimeType="..."/>

<!-- a video of bar 1 (an animation) or of the performance of bar 1 -->
<[ptr|extObject] url="bar1.mpeg" mimeType="..."/>

<!-- base64-encoded version of Finale file of bar 1 -->
<binaryObject/>
</notatedMusic>

Hope this helps!

Regards,