[tei-council] Fwd: Some more on notatedMusic to the council

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 04:58:19 EDT 2011

On 29/06/11 09:40, Raffaele Viglianti wrote:
> On 29/06/11 04:02, Lou Burnard wrote:
>> I must say I had thought that the proposal was to make the musicNotation
>> element itself such a sugared variant on a pointer. Why won't that work
>> any more?
>
> Dear Lou,
>
> we propose that<notatedMusic>  marks the presence of music notation in
> the text, rather than point to a specific representation of it.
> This, in practice, makes the difference between:
>
> <notatedMusic>
> <ptr target="some.xml"/>
> <graphic url="some.png"/>
> <desc>Some description</desc>
> </notatedMusic>

But just to note that in many case it might just be:
<notatedMusic>
  <ptr target="some.xml"/>
  <desc>Some description</desc>
</notatedMusic>

or

<notatedMusic>
  <graphic url="some.png"/>
  <desc>Some description</desc>
</notatedMusic>

I.e. it is not always the case that there are multiple
representations of the notatedMusic.

To me it seems clear that notatedMusic is a useful semantic
category of something that can be marked in a text.  i.e. "There
is some notated music here." The representation of that music may
be provided in various forms, hence the discussion of ptr vs
graphic and the desire for the understanding of the element to be
that all of its children are alternatives of different forms.

One possible alternative proposal would be to have notatedMusic
allow only one of ptr/graphic/binaryObject/etc _or_ a newly
invented 'embed' or similar object.  I.e. if you are using it in
the simple case, you have only one, if you want to express that
there are alternatives then you use a yet-to-be-created-embed
element.  I disagree that you should only be able to have the
embed element as content.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,