[tei-council] Fwd: Some more on notatedMusic to the council

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 11:27:52 EDT 2011

Perhaps <media> is the wrong word. I was thinking of using it for any non-XML representation of something. Maybe I just mean <external>
or <transclude>

what still bothers me most is the changed semantics of <ptr> in
<ptr target="bar1.xml"/>, as opposed to <ptr target="http://www.bbc.co.uk/"/>.,
I believe you mean "transclude that Chopin bar 1 here as best you can",
not "here is a link to a resource for the Chopin". In which case let's get ourselves
a generic element which does that (of which <graphic> will be a specialization
short-hand).

to reiterate:

<notatedMusic>
  <ptr target="bar1.xml"/>
  <graphic url="bar1.jpg"/>
  <desc>First bar of Chopin's Scherzo No.3 Op.39</desc>
</notatedMusic>

looks like a choice between three ways of getting the music into
the output, but the three children are not of the same semantic class.

Head of Information and Support Group
Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente