[tei-council] Fwd: Some more on notatedMusic to the council

Raffaele Viglianti raffaele.viglianti at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 11:16:18 EDT 2011

Dear Council members,

Thank you for letting me post on this list temporarily!

Sebastian, I'm glad to see that we now agree on the role and position of
notatedMusic.

> We need something more like<media>, with the same attribute set as<graphic>
> has now, I would suggest. I think that this would solve your problems,
> and mine (for video).

The problem here is still semantic. Music is a complex object, without
clear definition and belonging to several different domains. The music
we want to represent here is *exclusively* written. The name
notatedMusic was chosen for exactly that reason. This is an important
requirement for our small community. It is not possible to use the same
element to point to *textual* notation, audio and video with the same
element. Maybe this can help you understand the struggle here: would you
use <media> to point to a TEI-encoded play by Shakespeare and <media> to
point to a video recording of that play staged at Southbank?

If the reality is that we need semantic sugar ptr, the difficulty is
coming up with "sugar" for notation files (and then there's the
possibility of other user groups asking for "sugar" of their own, say, a
special element for maps, posters, postage stamps, etc.). Do we need to
go down this path?

A new element <media> could also be part of <notatedMusic>, but I
suspect that the problem of embedding audio/video in TEI files should be
resolved in a different place, with a different proposal. Adding the
result of this other conversation to notatedMusic at a later stage
should not create problems or, knowing the small community that will use
this at first, stop us to get started.

Best,
Raffaele

--