[tei-council] Jenkins server setup

stuart yeates stuart.yeates at vuw.ac.nz
Tue May 24 20:18:16 EDT 2011

On 25/05/11 11:12, Martin Holmes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sebastian and I have now finished our work figuring out how to get a
> basic Jenkins server working, and turned the result into a script and a
> set of instructions, which you can find here:
>
> <http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Jenkins_server>
>
> I've built and tested this in several VMs, and we're now in the process
> of getting a proper VM set up on a permanent basis to serve as the
> second TEI Jenkins server. I'm hoping this won't take much more than a
> couple of weeks (should be only a day once sysadmin creates the VM for
> me). Once it's running, I'll report the location of the server and add
> it to the documentation on the wiki.
>
> In the meantime, if anyone would like to read through the docs and
> comment, or even try the process in a VM, that would be great.

Excellent work!

[I'm currently bereft of a machine to try this on, so this is going by
reading the script only]

(1) Some of the verbose warnings about versions of linux can be
circumvented by checking /etc/lsb-release which documents which version
of which distro you're running on. More info on the LSB can be found at
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base

(2) The command "chown jenkins /root/.com.oxygenxml" is run before
"apt-get install jenkins" which I would assume creates the jenkins user
in /etc/password. Can that possibly work? or is the user created elsewhere?

(3) I might include a check early on that nothing else is running on
http://localhost:8080 For an example of how to check see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2717303/bash-checking-wgets-return-value-if

cheers
stuart