[tei-council] Jenkins server setup

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed May 25 08:44:20 EDT 2011

Hi Stuart,

On 11-05-24 05:18 PM, stuart yeates wrote:
> On 25/05/11 11:12, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sebastian and I have now finished our work figuring out how to get a
>> basic Jenkins server working, and turned the result into a script and a
>> set of instructions, which you can find here:
>>
>> <http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Jenkins_server>
>>
>> I've built and tested this in several VMs, and we're now in the process
>> of getting a proper VM set up on a permanent basis to serve as the
>> second TEI Jenkins server. I'm hoping this won't take much more than a
>> couple of weeks (should be only a day once sysadmin creates the VM for
>> me). Once it's running, I'll report the location of the server and add
>> it to the documentation on the wiki.
>>
>> In the meantime, if anyone would like to read through the docs and
>> comment, or even try the process in a VM, that would be great.
>
> Excellent work!
>
> [I'm currently bereft of a machine to try this on, so this is going by
> reading the script only]
>
> (1) Some of the verbose warnings about versions of linux can be
> circumvented by checking /etc/lsb-release which documents which version
> of which distro you're running on. More info on the LSB can be found at
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base

That makes sense. I have tested briefly on Ubuntu Natty, and the setup
doesn't work, so we'll have to make sure it is running on Lucid.

> (2) The command "chown jenkins /root/.com.oxygenxml" is run before
> "apt-get install jenkins" which I would assume creates the jenkins user
> in /etc/password. Can that possibly work? or is the user created elsewhere?

That's a Doh! Obviously we don't need that line, since it can't be doing
anything. It was an attempt to fix something I thought was wrong, but
obviously isn't. Jenkins runs as root anyway.

> (3) I might include a check early on that nothing else is running on
> http://localhost:8080 For an example of how to check see
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2717303/bash-checking-wgets-return-value-if

I would if I had had any success in getting Jenkins to run on another
port, but I haven't managed to make that work. I wanted to run it on
port 80, but following the appropriate instructions doesn't seem to do
the job. But given that the script is supposed to be run on a virgin
Lucid server install, there shouldn't be anything else there.

Thanks for this!

Cheers,
Martin