[tei-council] model.respLike. was: Taking another ticket (2976715)

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Apr 21 11:51:54 EDT 2011

I'm now implementing this, and there are a couple of issues in the
second part of the recommendation that need some discussion, I think:

 > 2. Replace explicit references to author | editor | respStmt in the
 > content model of biblStruct with a reference to the model.respLike
 > available where <author>, <editor> and <respStmt> currently are.

<analytic> is straightforward; we simply replace this:

         <rng:ref name="author"/>
         <rng:ref name="editor"/>
         <rng:ref name="respStmt"/>

with this:

         <rng:ref name="model.respLike"/>

in the existing content model:

   <content>
     <rng:zeroOrMore xmlns:rng="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0">
       <rng:choice>
         <rng:ref name="author"/>
         <rng:ref name="editor"/>
         <rng:ref name="respStmt"/>
         <rng:ref name="title"/>
         <rng:ref name="ref"/>
         <rng:ref name="date"/>
       </rng:choice>
     </rng:zeroOrMore>
   </content>

<series> is slightly more complicated, in that it has this for its
content model:

   <content>
     <rng:zeroOrMore xmlns:rng="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0">
       <rng:choice>
         <rng:text/>
         <rng:ref name="model.gLike"/>
         <rng:ref name="title"/>
         <rng:ref name="ref"/>
         <rng:ref name="editor"/>
         <rng:ref name="respStmt"/>
         <rng:ref name="biblScope"/>
         <rng:ref name="model.global"/>
       </rng:choice>
     </rng:zeroOrMore>
   </content>

<author> is not there, of course; replacing <editor> and <respStmt> with
model.respLike would have the side-effect of adding <author> as well as
the other intended items (<sponsor> etc.).

<monogr> is the most complicated of all. Here we have a rather
rigidly-controlled sequence and structure for the content model:

   <content>
     <rng:group xmlns:rng="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0">
       <rng:optional>
         <rng:choice>
           <rng:group>
             <rng:choice>
               <rng:ref name="author"/>
               <rng:ref name="editor"/>
               <rng:ref name="respStmt"/>
             </rng:choice>
             <rng:zeroOrMore>
               <rng:choice>
                 <rng:ref name="author"/>
                 <rng:ref name="editor"/>
                 <rng:ref name="respStmt"/>
               </rng:choice>
             </rng:zeroOrMore>
             <rng:oneOrMore>
               <rng:ref name="title"/>
             </rng:oneOrMore>
             <rng:zeroOrMore>
               <rng:choice>
                 <rng:ref name="idno"/>
                 <rng:ref name="editor"/>
                 <rng:ref name="respStmt"/>
               </rng:choice>
             </rng:zeroOrMore>
           </rng:group>
           <rng:group>
             <rng:oneOrMore>
               <rng:choice>
                 <rng:ref name="title"/>
                 <rng:ref name="ref"/>
               </rng:choice>
             </rng:oneOrMore>
             <rng:zeroOrMore>
               <rng:choice>
                 <rng:ref name="idno"/>
                 <rng:ref name="author"/>
                 <rng:ref name="editor"/>
                 <rng:ref name="respStmt"/>
               </rng:choice>
             </rng:zeroOrMore>
           </rng:group>
         </rng:choice>
       </rng:optional>
       <rng:zeroOrMore>
         <rng:choice>
           <rng:ref name="model.noteLike"/>
           <rng:ref name="meeting"/>
         </rng:choice>
       </rng:zeroOrMore>
       <rng:zeroOrMore>
         <rng:ref name="edition"/>
         <rng:zeroOrMore>
           <rng:choice>
             <rng:ref name="idno"/>
             <rng:ref name="editor"/>
             <rng:ref name="respStmt"/>
           </rng:choice>
         </rng:zeroOrMore>
       </rng:zeroOrMore>
       <rng:ref name="imprint"/>
       <rng:zeroOrMore>
         <rng:choice>
           <rng:ref name="imprint"/>
           <rng:ref name="extent"/>
           <rng:ref name="biblScope"/>
         </rng:choice>
       </rng:zeroOrMore>
     </rng:group>
   </content>

The simplest way to proceed would be to replace every instance of editor
and/or author and/or respStmt with model.respLike; this, again, would
introduce <author> in a couple of contexts where it's currently excluded
(where <idno> shares a block with <editor> and <respStmt>). We also have
an explicit instance of <meeting>, which is also a member of model.respLike.

My own instinct is to go ahead and use model.respLike in both <series>
and <monogr>, and accept the resulting arrival of <author> where it was
previously excluded; but I think it's important for the committee to
give an explicit OK to this, since I don't remember us discussing it in
detail at the meeting.

What do you think?

On 11-04-21 12:46 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> Yes .. apologies for lack of clarity!
>
> Sent from my HTC

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)