[tei-council] Meeting minutes, and Snip URLs not working

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 20 11:22:42 EDT 2011

On 20/04/11 16:11, Martin Holmes wrote:
> In other news, the Snip URLs used in the meeting minutes no longer seem
> to work:
>
> <http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Meetings/tcm46.xml>

<snip/>
> We should probably stick to full URLs, really. It's annoying, but it
> won't suddenly stop working.

Hi Martin,

You are right, of course.  snipurl.com is having a lot of
problems at the moment with all user accounts being wiped and
snips forgotten etc.  Hopefully they'll sort this out soon.  I've
already discussed with Kevin that I've applied for a purl.org
top-level domain /TEI which will allow us to make partial
redirects like this /TEI/FR... or things like /TEI/P5 etc.
purl.org is much more stable and supported by OCLC so a much
better choice than the commercial but free snipurl.com.  I've
used purls since the late 90s and have a top-level domain there
/cummings/ for my own use and they have followed me around the
world. ;-)

The status of my request for a top-level domain is still 'pending
authorization' however.  I'll let council know when this changes.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,