[tei-council] FR 3106829 on <quote> and <floatingText> (was Re: (no subject))

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Sun Apr 17 12:21:45 EDT 2011

Perhaps we could compromise on this?

It is important to distinguish the use of <floatingText> and <quote>.
Whereas the semantics of <quote> imply that its content emanates from
somewhere external to the current text, <floatingText> does not imply
this. The <floatingText> element is simply used whenever the richer
content model it provides is required to support mark up of a text or
part of a text which is presented as a discrete inclusion within the
text. Such an inclusion might resemble an enclosure or an attachment in
the source document or an embedded story within a framing narrative, or
it might simply appear as an explicit quotation. Hence the two elements
may be used in combination: a <floatingText> may appear within a <quote>
(when a text wich rich internal structure is quoted at length), and
<floatingText> may also include one or more <quote> elements as part of
its own structure, just like any text.