[tei-council] FR 3106829 on <quote> and <floatingText> (was Re: (no subject))

Martin Mueller martinmueller at northwestern.edu
Sun Apr 17 13:03:40 EDT 2011

Is it a matter of compromise or stating clearly what we mean? If "coming
from the outside" is not a necessary condition of floatingText, the
examples should make this clear as well. The crucial sentence in your
paragraph might then read:

The <floatingText> element is simply used whenever the richer content
model it provides is required to support mark up of a text or part of a
text which presented as a discrete inclusion within the text. Such an
"inclusion" might consist of a text that is perceived as external to the
document, such as a letter, enclosure, or attachment. But it might also
consist of a "musical number" that is set off from its surrounding text in
the libretto of an opera.

I could live with something like that, but I'm not sure I have a good
answer to the person who asks in what way an aria in an opera libretto is
a "discrete inclusion."