[tei-council] (no subject)

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Apr 11 23:41:16 EDT 2011

HI all,
From: Brett Barney [bbarney2 at unlnotes.unl.edu]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 1:13 PM
To: Martin Holmes
Cc: TEI Council; tei-council-bounces at lists.village.Virginia.EDU
Subject: Re: [tei-council] (no subject)

A couple of thoughts about this draft language:

1) Is it true that <quote> should be used for stuff that "emanates from a character within a text"?

I thought it could be so used, but I could well be wrong. Am I confusing <quote> and <q> (yet again, after all these years)?

2) I'd get rid of "Similarly" in "Similarly, <floatingText> may of course include <quote>

Agreed.

3) I'd also suggest that the last sentence be deleted and that the salient bit of it be added to the third sentence: "<floating Text>, on the other hand is syntactic and is used . . . ."

Again, agreed. That's much clearer.

Kevin suggested that if we have this paragraph, we could probably do away with the existing paragraph, which we're unhappy with, and doesn't seem to lend itself to satisfactory reformulation:

"The floatingText element should only be used for complete texts which form a part of the text being encoded. Where a character in one narrative quotes from some other text or narrative, fully or in part, the quote element discussed in 3.3.3 Quotation should be used instead. "

None of this appears to be (necessarily) true, or desirable to imply.

Thoughts?
Brett

------