[tei-council] FR 3106829 on <quote> and <floatingText> (was Re: (no subject))

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Tue Apr 12 09:29:09 EDT 2011

I've done some further revisions, so this is the latest version of the
proposal for how to handle feature request 3106829.

###

Replace:

The floatingText element should only be used for complete texts which
form a part of the text being encoded. Where a character in one
narrative quotes from some other text or narrative, fully or in part,
the quote element discussed in 3.3.3 Quotation should be used instead.

with:

It is important to distinguish the use of <floatingText> and <quote>.
<quote> is a semantic element for a passage attributed to an external
agent, whereas <floatingText> is a syntactic element and is used to
provide rich internal structure for a text or part of a text which is
included within the main text, such as an enclosure or attachment or
simply a story within a frame narrative.  These elements may be used in
combination. In the case of an extended quotation, <floatingText> may be
used as a child of <quote>.  On the other hand, there may be cases where
a <floatingText> includes one or more <quote> elements as part of its
structure.

If there are no further comments in the next week, I can add this as a
comment on the ticket.