[tei-council] Piwik at Sourceforge

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Mar 23 12:13:16 EDT 2011

Hi there,

We use Urchin at UVic, and looking at Piwik, it seems at least as
powerful; it offers a wider range of formats in which to download data
than Urchin does.

I'm not sure what "hosted app" means here -- are we talking about paying
for a hosting service to run the Piwik MySQL? I think if it's not
running on our own server, then lots of people will block it (as I block
Google Analytics -- I don't like JavaScript running from some site
external to the one I'm browsing). Would we have the capability to run
Piwik on tei-c.org?

On 11-03-23 05:03 AM, Piotr Bański wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please have a look at Peter Stadler's suggestion of going more in the
> direction of open source, as far as the choice of statistics-related
> packages is concerned, rather than relying on Google Analytics (which I
> always keep blocked in my browsers, btw.).
>
> http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Talk:Statistics
>
> Piwik can be opened as a Hosted App, I did that in all my Sourceforge
> projects, and while I'm not a particular Peeker, I do peek there from
> time to time and find Piwik incredibly clever and versatile, worth
> supporting by all means.
>
> And it's a long shot, but if someone wanted to use the actual data from
> Piwik in their projects, a TEI export plugin is a possibility.
>
> (But the short-term suggestion is trivial: open Piwik as a Hosted App at
> SF, and make it readable to the public, so that people can see what it
> looks like and decide if they want to adopt it for their TEI-based
> projects rather than Google Analytics.)
>
>    Piotr

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)