[tei-council] captcha for the wiki?

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 16:40:16 EDT 2011

On 22/03/11 20:15, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> Poor Piotr checks his feed reader more frequently than I do, meaning he
> usually gets to undoing spam edits and blocking spammers before I do.
> We do need to come up with a solution here.
>
> How about this question:
>
> Which of the child elements of teiHeader is required?
>
> We should accept either of these responses:
>
> <fileDesc>
> fileDesc

Depend on whether the chosen system is capable, I would suggest that we
accept anything that has 'fileDesc' (even in a case-insensitive manner?)
in it.

Another possibility is to have questions with multiple radio button
answers?  So if along with fileDesc it listed a bunch of things that
aren't children of teiHeader...  Of course the problem with this type of
thing (unlike your suggestion) is that it means the spamming script can
quess correctly if it keeps trying.

I'm wondering whether knowledge of the TEI is the right thing to test
for contributions to the TEI wiki?  I know that seems self-evident. But
I wouldn't want to stop contributions from someone who knows very little
about the TEI, but wrote a useful XSLT script cuz someone gave him some
TEI data once.

Isn't what we want to test that they are a) human and b) not evil
spammers?  There are lots of ways to test a) ... not many ways to test b.

-James

> On 3/13/2011 1:38 PM, David Sewell wrote:
>> Heh. The trick would be finding questions with unambiguous answers that
>> anyone familiar with the TEI Guidelines should be able to answer, but
>> that would require a certain amount of research beyond 5 seconds of
>> Google for anyone else.
>>
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2011, James Cummings wrote:
>>
>>> Re: question
>>>
>>> Might be fun. So the answer is teiHeader and facsimile .... right?
>>> James
>>>

>>> James Cummings, University of Oxford
>>> (from phone)

Dr James Cummings, Research Technology Service
Oxford University Computing Services
University of Oxford