[tei-council] looking for TEI gray literature in need of encoding

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Fri Mar 11 08:24:28 EST 2011

Thanks for the quick responses.  Notes below ...

On 3/11/2011 5:40 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> This sounds like a very useful proposition! Can we assume that there
> will also be some kind of master list or bibliography or finding aid,
> along the lines of that in place for the Vault? Using the same kind of
> document numbering system ?

I was imagining that she would follow the existing numbering system when
in place.   For example, the Dublin minutes, once encoded from

http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Draft_minutes_of_2010-04_Council_meeting

would be linked from

http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Meetings/index.xml

and be named "tcm45.xml".

If someone comes up with a document that doesn't fit into some sort of
existing numbering, we'll figure something out.

> I also have a pretty large paper TEI archive, but that's probably a
> different kind of project.

Yes.  I would recommend scanning all of your papers as bitmap page
images according to digital preservation specs as an initial digital
preservation strategy.  Or just donate to the Bodleian and hope they'll
preserve them.  On second thought, maybe that's a risky strategy.

More below ...

On 3/11/2011 5:08 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
 > On 10/03/11 22:49, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
 >> one might make a case for bringing some of the historical documents
in the Vault, such as the infamous Principles,
 >> up to speed in TEI P5?
 >> --
 >
 > One *might* I suppose, (and certainly this has been discussed on TEI-L
 > before now) but I not completely convinced of the necessity. These
 > ancient scriptures should be seen in their original format.
 > http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/SC/teipcp1.txt seems to me more useful as a
 > historical document than e.g. http://cmsmcq.com/1990/edp1.html

In digital preservation, there's a tension between preserving original
context (and needing emulators) and refreshing content by migrating to
newer formats that will be easier to read in the future.  The are
arguments for either approach.

However, I am initially more concerned with documents that are at risk
of being lost simply by not being gathered with other documents.  That
is, I have faith that our community will be able to migrate the
Principles whenever needed, whereas if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, you
might never find minutes of an important discussion about libraries or
Tite or whatever.

If there are no such documents at risk of being misplaced, then I'm fine
with cleaning up things already in the Vault.

Kevin