[tei-council] access to current builds of TEI P5

stuart yeates stuart.yeates at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Jan 27 17:53:55 EST 2011

On 28/01/11 11:37, James Cummings wrote:
> On 27/01/11 19:49, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> current committers are actually very varied:
>> Dot Porter
>> Daniel O'Donnell
>> David Sewell
>> Elena Pierazzo
>> BODARD Gabriel
>> GE8
>> Gregor Middell
>> HA
>> Janet McKnight
>> James Cummings
>> John Ivor Carlson
>> Kevin Hawkins
>> Lou Burnard
>> Marcus Bingenheimer
>> Mikel L. Forcada
>> Peter Boot
>> Sebastian Rahtz
>> Syd Bauman
>> Sorin Ristache
>> Tilman
>>
>> (which includes you, Kevin!).
>>
>> It is not a very exclusive club! would we like me to remove anyone?

Alternatively, should anyone be added?

> This is partly because of the way the SVN repository works/is set up, I
> believe.  The TEI has various deliverables that it produces and stores
> in one SF SVN repository. SF, I think, only allows us to grant access to
> the whole thing or nothing.  I only mention this is case council wishes
> to consider whether this reflects the real way we want to work or not.
> (We could, for example, fragment the TEI output into a number of
> difference SF projects and SVN repositories... e.g. one for Guidelines,
> one for Stylesheets, etc. I'm not saying that is a good idea, just that
> these decisions are options in our power to change should we decide to.)

If there are to be major changes to the version control system, might I
suggest that we also migrate to git or similar?

The major advantage to git (and other modern version control systems) is
the decoupling of 'making a checkpoint' and 'making work public.' This
means that developers can 'save' their work at any time without pushing
their unfinished / untested work out to perturb the work of everyone
else in the project.

A change inversion control system would involve substantial changes to a
number of scripts, some retraining of users and updating of
documentation, but the history of the codebase need not be lost.

See also: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Git

cheers
stuart
--