[tei-council] access to current builds of TEI P5

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 28 03:46:50 EST 2011

On 27/01/11 22:53, stuart yeates wrote:
> Alternatively, should anyone be added?

I'm all for expanding the TEI community and getting more people
involved in working on the TEI deliverables.  However, I like
that this is filtered through a small number of keen eyes with
experience of TEI's history.  In most open source projects you
get a small meritocracy-based oligarchy of enthusiastic
committers, but it is very rare that you get a complete freedom
of anyone-can-commit direct to the release branch.  Usually it is
more a 'submit a patch and a developer will review and add it'
kind of system in my experience.  I want users to be able to
submit a patch (say in a sf ticket) and then keen developers to
be able to add it pending council's agreement.  Even though we
can rollback changes by anyone I would still prefer that
significant changes are passed through Council for debate...that
is one of the reasons I think we are here, and playing devil's
advocate is one of my few skills. ;-)

> If there are to be major changes to the version control system, might I
> suggest that we also migrate to git or similar?

Certainly, I'm saying that if we are going to be changing how our
systems (technological and social) work in any case, then all of
these things should be up for discussion. (Another reason it
would be useful to have you present in Chicago.) So choice of
version control system should equally be up for discussion.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service
OUCS, University of Oxford