[tei-council] Council meeting in April - Symposium on 11. April

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 13:48:39 EST 2011

a) (On who to invite to speak) While I think Sebastian talking
about OxGarage and how it now underlies how things like WebRoma
works and how loosely coupled web services with clear APIs are a
good thing for the TEI, is a good topic... isn't his overall
point slightly different.  It isn't necessarily "Seb wants to
talk as well" but more that usually at the TEI Days before a
Council meeting we've had a mixture of people from the council
talking and local projects.  The local people get the benefit of
listening to someone new for a change, the council get the
benefit of hearing about some local projects. TEI users don't
often get a chance to hear papers which evince how the underlying
TEI systems really work or similarly arcane topics. It seems
better to me to have the day be a collaboration between local
people and the TEI as an organization.

b) (On the proposed list) While some of the people there will be
quite interesting, Portico/PubMedCentral/OCUL all seem to be the
same thing.  They use NLM and not TEI and for pretty much all for
the same reason if I gather correctly. The NDIIP lists XML rather
than TEI specifically as a preferred format, and that is a
potentially interesting discussion (especially in light of a TEI
mimeType), but the reasons they've done this are probably fairly
straightforward as well. I'm feeling uninspired as to what is
beneficially going to result for the discussions where people are
not using the TEI for straightforward reasons (political,
practical, economic, whatever) (Perhaps this is my failing and a
lack of imagination.)  I'm more interested by those people who
*do* engage with the TEI in particular circumstances or who have
a long-term view of the TEI and whether it indeed has or has not
fulfilled the Poughkeepsie Principles.

c) (On the emails to be sent) Doesn't it behove us to provide or
at least link to a copy of the Poughkeepsie Principles?  Our
canonical copy is pretty unreadable some might say.¹ (unless I'm
missing it somewhere?) There is a nicely formatted version in the
TEI By Example site.² or I have a list of them in an article that
is online³ or maybe best is that Michael has a formatted version
of EDP1 up (maybe we should put a copy of that in the vault and
point there?)⁴  This all reminds me that the Vault on the TEI-C
website needs tidying up.

d) (On public access to the tei-council mailing list) Just to
note that the tei-council archives have been open for quite some
time. It was argued for by a very cunning person back in 2006 who
recognised that it would allow those running for council to be
able to see what council does, allow those who leave council to
continue to follow issues that interest them, and also allow us
to link back to previous discussions as I'm doing right now.⁵

-James

Notes:
¹ http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/ED/edp01.gml
²
http://tbe.kantl.be/TBE/modules/TBED00v00.htm?target=teihistory#poughkeepsie
³ http://tinyurl.com/jc-dlsteihttp://cmsmcq.com/1990/edp1.htmlhttp://lists.village.virginia.edu/pipermail/tei-council/2006/005757.html

On 18/01/11 17:48, Laurent Romary wrote:
> To make things appropriate and if I were Seb (using his always
> positive mood) I would say: "waow, that's exactly the kind of topics
> the council needs to debate about. I would like to offer to make a
> visionary presentation of how OxGarage is actually bringing a lot in
> terms of interoperability". OK, Seb?
>

> Le 18 janv. 11 à 18:18, Sebastian Rahtz a écrit :
>

>> On 18 Jan 2011, at 15:16, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>>
>>> Since the archives of tei-council are publicly available, we must be
>>> cautious not just about discussing names of potential invitees.
>>
>> whoops. my apologies, my posting was _not_ appropriate then. I hope
>> it does not offend anyone.
>>
>> The list of topics on the google docs does look rather negative,
>> sorry. Surely
>> there are folks who can actually be positive about the TEI?
>>
>> --
>> Sebastian Rahtz
>> Information and Support Group Manager
>> Oxford University Computing Services
>> 13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN. Phone +44 1865 283431
>>
>> Sólo le pido a Dios
>> que el futuro no me sea indiferente

>> PLEASE NOTE: postings to this list are publicly archived
>
> Laurent Romary
> INRIA&  HUB-IDSL
> laurent.romary at inria.fr

Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service
OUCS, University of Oxford