[tei-council] how to encode a hyphen at the end of a line, column, or page when you are encoding hyphens

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 12:51:39 EST 2011

I don't know if <g/> is the right element for what you suggest; perhaps
<pc> would be more appropriate (or does tei:pc require the literal
hyphen to be included as well?). But yes, having some way to indicate
(a) the presence and (b) the form of some explicit hyphenation in the
source text is useful. (For example, we might want to mark this
hyphenation as "unclear" if the ink is faded or the hyphen could be
confused with an elaborate serif.)

I expect Sebastian is right however and we have to continue to tolerate
the use of simple ASCII '-' in the text, especially if the markup is
machine-generated and/or the coder doesn't want to disambiguate between
compound words and line-divided words, etc.

Martin's three questions are useful: some of them are I think resolved,
others are relatively simple (especially if, as here, we allow multiple
solutions). I suspect that a series of long emails arguing over various
aspects of all three questions at once has put some people off from
engaging with the debate. (I confess that was my position before the
vacation.) For this question first, therefore, can we agree on a best
practice and other acceptable possibilities?

On 05/01/2011 17:17, Elena Pierazzo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>> Do we believe that the existence of a hyphen, doubling, etc. should be
>> expressed through character data external to the break, or should it
>> be
>> expressed through @rend? In other words:
>>
>> help-<lb/>ful
>>
>> or
>>
>> help<lb rend="hyphen"/>ful
>

> The latter is the choice I have done for most of my projects, but I'm
> not sure to be honest that this is the best option. While I think that
> to use a character is very problematic (I won't list all the reasons
> because we have been already there), I'm not sure about the @rend
> either.
>
> For instance Jane Austen uses a mark at the end of the line and one at
> the beginning of the line to mark words break and those markers are:
> -
> =
> :
>
> variously combined, so we ended up with a very long list of values for
> the @rend, for instance:
>
> double_colon
> double_equal
> double_hyphen
> colon_hyphen
> hyphen_colon
> colon_equal
> equal_colon
> equal_hyphen
> etc.
>
> I was wondering i there was a more elegant possibility here respect
> the @rend...
>
> In addition, as the<lb/>  mark the *beginning* of the line (or at
> least that's is what we say in the Guidelines) it seems odd to use the
> @rend for something that is normally at the end of the line (a part
> when it is both at the end and beginning as for my example).
> What about an element? what about<g type=""/>?
>
> Elena
>
> --
> Dr Elena Pierazzo
> Lecturer in Digital Humanities
> Centre for Computing in the Humanities
> King's College London
> 26-29 Drury Lane
> London WC2B 5RL
>
> Phone: 0207-848-1949
> Fax: 0207-848-2980
> elena.pierazzo at kcl.ac.uk
> www.kcl.ac.uk

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Email: gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)20 7848 1388
Fax: +44 (0)20 7848 2980

http://www.digitalclassicist.org/