[tei-council] how to encode a hyphen at the end of a line, column, or page when you are encoding hyphens

Elena Pierazzo elena.pierazzo at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 12:17:29 EST 2011

Hi All,

> Do we believe that the existence of a hyphen, doubling, etc. should be
> expressed through character data external to the break, or should it
> be
> expressed through @rend? In other words:
>
> help-<lb/>ful
>
> or
>
> help<lb rend="hyphen"/>ful

The latter is the choice I have done for most of my projects, but I'm
not sure to be honest that this is the best option. While I think that
to use a character is very problematic (I won't list all the reasons
because we have been already there), I'm not sure about the @rend
either.

For instance Jane Austen uses a mark at the end of the line and one at
the beginning of the line to mark words break and those markers are:
-
=
:

variously combined, so we ended up with a very long list of values for
the @rend, for instance:

double_colon
double_equal
double_hyphen
colon_hyphen
hyphen_colon
colon_equal
equal_colon
equal_hyphen
etc.

I was wondering i there was a more elegant possibility here respect
the @rend...

In addition, as the <lb/> mark the *beginning* of the line (or at
least that's is what we say in the Guidelines) it seems odd to use the
@rend for something that is normally at the end of the line (a part
when it is both at the end and beginning as for my example).
What about an element? what about <g type=""/>?

Elena

--
Dr Elena Pierazzo
Lecturer in Digital Humanities