[tei-council] <subst> (sf ticket 2859355)

Lou lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 28 12:21:50 EDT 2010

[ I've added the following comment to this ticket, and copy it here for
your consideration]

At present the content model of <subst> is
(model.pPart.transcriptional), (model.pPart.transcriptional)+

and the following are the members of model.pPart.transcriptional:

add app corr damage del orig reg restore sic supplied surplus unclear

Clearly, this content model permits  some things that can't reasonably
be interpreted as part of a substitution, e.g. <app> or <corr>, and also
some things that might plausibly appear within a substitution without
forming part of either its "before" or its "after" such as <unclear> or
<surplus>.  You might want to say for example
<unclear/> behave just like the bit of text which this ticket proposes
should also be allowed. I cannot imagine however what it might mean to
</subst> or many of the other possibilities offered by this content model.

I would *like* to be able to say that the content model should be (as
proposed earlier)

(text | model.gLike | add | del)*

with an additional constraint that says there must be at least one <add>
and one <del> . This would have the effect of forcing the encoder to put
any of the other transcriptional markup *inside* one or other of the
<add> and <del> elements.

However  this is quite a major change from the current model, so I would
appreciate any second thoughts from council members before implementing it.

Another thought: should this also allow <addSpan> and <delSpan> ?