[tei-council] TEI panel at DH

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jun 21 13:11:45 EDT 2008

Arianna Ciula wrote:
> - All: Personography Workgroup --> I have included this among the
> completed activities. Fine?

definitely.

in the images I will send you shortly, you could show
the one called "lgpn.jpg". Its a screen shot of the
Lexicon of Greek Personal, which is a database
of 250,000 <person> records marked up in TEI XML
using personography. The screen shot shows a combined
map and timeline derived from data - a demonstration that
TEI XML is rich enough to generate this sort of thing
easily.
> - Sebastian: want to send me that page in Chinese? or tell me where to
> take a screenshot or something that is up to date?

I am sending you 6 images shortly to use. Four
of them are the same reference page in English, Italian,
Japanese and Chinese; one is a Chinese table of contents;
the last is a shot of Roma in Chinese. You can use this
to say that the TEI is taking its I18N seriously. We
have Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, French, and Italian
all done now (more or less) for the reference documentation,
waiting on German, with some chance
of Portuguese and Russian this year. The Chinese
are now working on translating/adapting examples,
which will be ready for the TEI members meeting this autumn.
> - Laurent and Oxford: any news on ISO standards documents in ODD?

indeed. we have submitted the first draft of a profile
of the TEI for representing ISO standards, which is accompanied
by transformations to and from Microsoft Word 2007. It makes
use of MathML and Word tables and Math in their own namespace,
and makes extensive use of Schematron constraints. The single ODD
source is used to maintain 4 separate versions of the profile

 - light, with few constraints
 - normal, with ISO structure constraints
 - extended, with extra namespace as abobe
 - ODD-enhanced, for those who want to write ISO standards about XML
languages

IMPORTANT NOTE: we do not have permission from ISO
to trumpet this around without telling them. So mention it,
but don't make a big deal out of it, please.
> - All: I'd like to say something about the discussion we had on
> extending and making the set of stylesheets more usable.

I think that was left saying that we would be providing
worked examples of stylesheets to accompany sample
texts, along side the Boot Book.
> - All: Note that the tei council annual reports for 2006 and 2007 are
> missing from the website: http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Reports/

David, sounds like one for you to check on

> *Other Council Activities*
> - Internationalization and Localization of the guidelines – supported by
> ALLC

please, for political sake, mention  also
ATILF in France and the National Digital Archive
in Taiwan, to show we have partners
> - Strategic technical collaborations
>    - Working with other standards
>      - With ISO
>        - Activity on Feature Structures
>        - Write ISO standards documents in ODD
>      - With W3C?

this was on the Internationalisation Tag Set (ITS) Recommendation
published in 2007
> *Internationalization and Localization*
> http://www.tei-c.org/Tools/I18N/
> - a working architecture for internationalization of the TEI source

qualify by saying "the reference sections of the TEI Guidelines" ?
> *Advise, Support and Outreaching*
> Council: A body of men (AND WOMEN) chosen or designated as permanent

boo hiss

I am sending you a set of images separately