[tei-council] TEI panel at DH

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Sat Jun 21 10:58:56 EDT 2008

Dear all,

please find below a possible outline for my presentation at DH this year
and let me know what you think. I have some questions still:

- David: is it right to say that the Correspondence workgroup has become
a SIG? I don't think so...
- All: Personography Workgroup --> I have included this among the
completed activities. Fine?
- Lou and Laurent: ISO activity on feature structure is completed now,
right?
- Sebastian: want to send me that page in Chinese? or tell me where to
take a screenshot or something that is up to date?
- Laurent and Oxford: any news on ISO standards documents in ODD?
- Dan: does TEI Tite fits where I put it?
- Lou: can I have some details on that French initiative please?
- Laurent: 'with W3C' --> should I refer to a specific collaboration
here or leave it as a general statement?
- Peter: do you think I should say something more about the training
online handbook?
- All: I'd like to say something about the discussion we had on
extending and making the set of stylesheets more usable. Hope that's fine.
- All: Note that the tei council annual reports for 2006 and 2007 are
missing from the website: http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Reports/

========================

TEI Council: Mission and Activities

*Mission*
Council: An assembly called together for any purpose; a convocation or
congregation … An advisory or deliberative assembly (OED)
- TEI council:
   - responsible for the technical development of the TEI guidelines
recommends, evaluates, and implements new features and modifications of
existing features, and supervises the overall development of each new
version of the Guidelines
   - new bylaws:
1.	collect, propose, evaluate, and implement editorial changes to the
TEI Guidelines (and its derivatives)
2.	produce up-to-date documentation for the TEI
3.	propose and assist in the preparation of training documents and
tutorials; evaluate agreements for official TEI-C training, services,
and collaborations and make recommendations to the TEI-C Board
concerning endorsement of such training, services, and collaborations

*Not Secret Council*
- Mailing list archives:
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/pipermail/tei-council/
- Face to face yearly meetings (more frequent meetings under discussion)
and monthly teleconferences (frequency highly dependent on workload)
    - Reports available: http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Meetings/
- At the next TEI annual Members' Meeting the Council will present a
report on current work
   - 6-8 November 2008, King’s College London, London –
http://www.cch.kcl.ac.uk/tei2008/

*Maintaining the Guidelines*
- Bug and feature requests
   - Report to TEI L (when doubtful, controversial or more discussion
needed)
   - Submit directly to and see progress in SourceForge -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tei/
- Missing “components”
- New chapters

*TEI Workgroups*
- Usually based on needs of the community (constant monitoring of TEI L)
- Often chartered by the council to recommend extensions or
modifications to the TEI Guidelines
- Currently active:
   - Correspondence --> now become a SIG
   - Physical Bibliography Workgroup - Chartered in May 2004; chaired by
Murray McGillivray
- Completed:
   - Personography Workgroup - Chartered in January 2006; chaired by
Matthew Driscoll
   - Character Encoding Workgroup - Chaired by Christian Wittern
   - Metalanguage Workgroup - Chaired by Sebastian Rahtz
   - Migration Workgroup - Chaired by Chris Ruotolo
   - Stand-Off Markup Workgroup - Chaired by David Durand
   - Manuscript Description Task Force

*Other Council Activities*
- Internationalization and Localization of the guidelines – supported by
ALLC
- Strategic technical collaborations
   - Working with other standards
     - With ISO
       - Activity on Feature Structures
       - Write ISO standards documents in ODD
     - With W3C?
     - Involvement in French initiative?
     - TEI Tite
- Individual contributions
    - Trainings (but see below)
    - METS
    - Open Office

*Internationalization and Localization*
http://www.tei-c.org/Tools/I18N/
- a working architecture for internationalization of the TEI source
- internationalized stylesheets for delivery of the reference section of
TEI guidelines
- translations of the TEI reference documentation into 6 languages
   - Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
   - plus 2: Portuguese, Russian
- further translation efforts to be undertaken on a volunteer basis, or
to be supported by further funding if available

*Advise, Support and Outreaching*
Council: A body of men (AND WOMEN) chosen or designated as permanent
advisers on matters of … esp. to advise and assist in ... (OED)

- Council meetings associated with local symposia
- Period of reassessment after launch of P5
   - embody new strategy statement especially on outreaching
   - towards this direction
     - working online handbook on ‘How to’
     - focus on examples and stylesheets
     - work on website

*Elected council*
  - If member or subscriber: Remember to vote!