[tei-council] please see Language Identification update

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Jul 12 16:11:38 EDT 2007

> - first time you mention Unicode I would add a link to its website or a
> footnote with the link.

Sounds reasonable. I presume you mean the first time in the chapter,
rather than the first time in the Guidelines (it occurs in the
Introductory Note and in the gentle introduction, both of which are
before this "chapter"), or the first time in the language
identification section. Done.

> - as you suggest I would add links to IANA

OK, as no one else has expressed an opinion, it's in. Once we're
being explicit about where to get the language subtag, it seems to
make sense to say so for the other subtags as well. So I added
pointers to the ISO 15924 list, the ISO 3166 list, and the UN M.49
list also.

> (I had made the same comments for the ND chapter and now the links
> are there in the footnotes if you want to use the same reference)

I am not as convinced that this vague level of detail, as it were,
should be spelled out in ND as it is. I think the reference to
language identification probably should be the only reference there.
That paragraph needs some work in other ways; I may take a crack at
it later today.

> - word repetition --> 'We say that the single and double-storey symbols
> both represent one and the same the same abstract character a'

Check, fixed.

> - missing link or old reference --> '(see further 6.3 Highlighting and
> Quotation)'

Egads! This seemed like a problem worth investigating, so I checked
and found 7 other instances of this problem in the Guidelines and
fixed 'em. (3 of which were also in this chapter, which you had
noticed, below :-)

Lou -- two of these were references FS to FD, where it looked like
you probably made changes so that the FS.xml file would work to
generate the ISO text without having to do work in the XSLT.

> - misspelling --> 'Such documentation does cannot of itself guarantee
> proper display'

I didn't notice any misspelling, but it's not English. Sentence
reworded.

> - missing links --> ...

Fixed as mentioned above.

> - mis-punctuation --> 'Ligatures (.e.g. the joining [...]'

Fixed.

> - 'though for historians of typography their presence and form in a
> given edition' --> I would say 'though for palaeographers and
> historians of typography their presence and form in a given
> manuscript or edition'

OK, as no one has objected, done.

Thanks again, Arianna!