[tei-council] agenda items for Council telecon on 2007-06-15 at 1200 UTC

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 11 04:05:26 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> Council has charged me with implementing Schematron rules in the
> Guidelines for expressing a variety of constraints that are not
> expressed in the RELAX NG schemas produced by the ODDs. A very large
> percentage, probably even a large majority, of these rules are going
> to be of the form "the X= attribute of <Y> should point to a <Z>".

it might help if you listed the outstanding rules
you have to implement using Schematron? I am bit
nonplussed by the assertion. Maybe I need a cup
of tea

> I quickly noticed three major useful suggestions in his poster. One
> for describing the inheritance of attribute and one for describing
> the semantics of child elements.
would be interesting to hear more about these
> We add a references= attribute to <attDef> which could be used only if
> the datatype of the attribute being defined was data.pointer.[2] The
> references= attribute itself has a datatype of data.name, and gives
> the name of the element type to which the pointer attribute being
> defined should point.
so <name ref="#SYD"> must point to a <person xml:id="SYD">
somewhere, for example? but that's not true, is it?
If it pointed to www.example.com/person.php?ID=SYD,
did we ever say that must return a <person>?

are you sure that ISO Schematron supports using of
document() to access remote resources? what do you
do if the site is unreachable?

wearing my ODD programmer hat, implementing your
proposal would be pretty easy, I think. My concern
is simply whether there are enough cases to justify it.

examples, please......