[tei-council] witness lists again

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Fri Mar 30 17:03:50 EST 2007

Hi All,

I'm willing to revisit this. I opened up my oXygen and attempted to
build an msDescription based on Gautier's requests (as translated
here: http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/witnessPart/index.xml?style=printable)
and indeed I had some trouble. But it's not a problem of in the header
vs. in the witness list - I think that is a red herring. The problem
is that this does not validate:

        <msDescription>
            <msIdentifier><msName>manuscript</msName></msIdentifier>
            <msContents>
                <msItem><filiation>filiation</filiation></msItem>
            </msContents>
            <physDesc>
            </physDesc>
            <history><origin><origDate>1145</origDate></origin></history>
        </msDescription>

So, yes, in order to get some of these in you need to include their
parent elements as well (to have <seal> we need <sealDesc>, to have
<origDate> we need to have <history> and <origin>) but that's not such
a big deal. The big deal, as I see it, is that we can't mix <p>s up
with the specialized elements from the model.physDescPart class. So if
our intrepid archivist wants to include a general physical description
in his <p>s, plus a more detailed description of the seal (taking
advantage of the <seal> element), he can't do it. He'd need to use the
other specialized elements as well, and that indeed could be a burden.
I don't suppose we'd want to allow <seal> as a member of
model.pPart.msdesc, so it could occur within <p>? I really think this
is the big issue. Other than that, the example above is valid and, I'd
argue, not very burdensome. And whether it appears in the header or in
the witness list, it'll look about the same.

Dot

On 3/30/07, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:
> I had the opportunity to discuss Gautier's ideas about witness lists
> (see mail of 21st and 22nd) with the man himself, over several beers in
> Paris earlier this week. I won't try to repeat all the discussion now
> (and not just because of the beers), but I would like to ask those who
> confidently assert that it can all be done with existing elements to
> take a look at a real live example, such as the following. Put yourself
> in the place of the downtrodden archivist trying to produce a reliable
> edition of gazillions of charters each of which has a complicated
> witness list associated with it, like this:
>
> /A. Original sur parchemin, larg. 280 mm x haut. 720/755 mm, partie
> droite d'un chirographe avec, à gauche, la partie droite des lettres
> composant le mot CYROGRAPHUM, jadis scellé d'un sceau comtal, sur
> courroie. Arc//h. dép. Somme, 9 H 337, n° ^ 1 /
>
> /B/. Copie dans le vidimus de Baudouin IX, comte de Flandre, en date du
> 13 octobre 1201 aujourd'hui perdu, d'après ^
> /C/. Copie du XIII^e s., vers 1229, /Cartulaire blanc/, Bibl. nat. de
> Fr., lat. 17759, fol. 70v, sous la rubrique : « Carta Roberti comitis
> Flandrie super nemore de Walnosia. LXXXV », d'après /A/.
>
> /D/. Copie du XVIII^e s., par Dom Grenier, Bibl. nat. de Fr., Moreau 38,
> fol. 100, avec références à /A/.
>
> /E/. Copie du XVIII^e s., par Dom Grenier, Bibl. nat. de Fr., Picardie
> 237, fol. 115, avec références à /A/.
>
> /F/. Copie du XIII^e s., vers 1229, /Cartulaire blanc/, Bibl. nat. de
> Fr., lat. 17759, fol. 67v, sous la rubrique : « Carta Balduini comitis
> Flandrie de Walnoisie nemore. LXXXI », sans doute d'après /B/.
>
> /G/. Copie de 1295, Cartulaire noir, Bibl. nat. de Fr., lat. 17758, fol.
> 207 (livre XXIV, n° XVI), sans doute d'après /B/.
>
> /H./ Copie du XVIII^e s., par Dom Grenier, Bibl. nat. de Fr., Picardie
> 79, fol. 138, avec références à /C/.
>
> /I./ Copie du XVIII^e s., par Dom Grenier, Bibl. nat. de Fr., Picardie
> 79, fol. 163, avec références à /C/.
>

> /a/. Chan. [F.-J] R[ay]m[ae]r[kers], /Donation faite en faveur de
> l'abbaye de Corbie (France) par Robert, comte de Flandre, en 1096/, dans
> /Analectes pour servir à l'histoire ecclésiastique de la Belgique/, t.
> II, 1865, p. 268, d'après /A/.
>
> /b/. E. Van den Bussche, /Recherches sur la forêt d'Houthulst/, dans /La
> Flandre/, t. V, 1873-1874, p. 331, d'après /a/ et une copie de /B/.
>
> /c/. Godefroy Menilglaise (Marquis de), /Accord entre le comte de
> Flandre et l'abbaye de Corbie pour le partage de la forêt de Wouthulst
> et de terres vagues adjacentes…/, dans /Bulletin de la Société des
> antiquaires de Picardie/, t. II, 1874, p. 76, d'après une copie de /B/.
>
> /d/. A. Wauters, dans /Bulletin de la Commission royale d'histoire/, t.
> II, 1874, p. 178, d'après /D/.
>
> /e/. Th. de Limburg Stirum, /Cartulaire de Louis de Male, comte de
> Flandre/, t. I, Bruges, 1898, n° 559, p. 506, d'après une copie issue de
> la tradition de /B/.

> [...]

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
dporter at uky.edu          859-257-9549
#####
Editorial Assistant, REVEAL Project
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
porter at vis.uky.edu