[tei-council] next telecon 12 days away

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Sep 24 21:27:58 EDT 2006

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> not good... I think a simple report on activities
> isnt as exciting as it could be

Well, the Council report had been so far in the business meeting
sandwiched between exciting things like the budget for last year and
the budget for next year.

>> But seriously, I would describe our activities and would hope that the
>> Members get the impression we did seriously devote as much of our time
>> to worthwhile things as we could be expected.
>>

> If it was me reporting, I'd hang a report around the issue
> of Conformance, because it neatly encompasses a lot
> of controversial issues (as we discovered on TEI-L).
>
> To be honest, I'd abandon the formulaic "Council chair Report"
> and "Editors' Report" (which can be provided on paper anyway)
> and propose a single inspiring talk entitled "P5: the reality
> dawns".
>
> Julia suggested to me the other day over a chocolate
> biccie an interesting idea - that we (TEIC) should
> not put any funding at all into the Council, workgroups
> or Editors in 2007, but spend all the Consortium's money
> on publicity and teaching events. Its an attractive notion -
> stop now and see if we have a product which people
> actually want and will adopt.

Well, for the Council this would basically mean no f2f meeting -- we
could think about that for the future, but for 2007 I think it is
crucial that we meet around May, hopefully to fix the last open issues
for P5 1.0.

I do not believe much in marketing anyway, but above all for marketing
to work the product has to be ready.

All the best,

Christian

--