[tei-council] New discussion document on 1.0 release priorities

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Jul 19 07:38:35 EDT 2006

Syd, Lou,

thanks for getting this organized.  The document seems to cover pretty
well what is urgent, and I sympathize with the desire to get P5 1.0 as
soon as possible.  (Obviously we should not sacrifice quality, but I
think nobody is demanding that).

Now to the details:

* class review:  We need to set up an efficient procedure for this,
  including timeline.  Do you envision this as an editor only task?

* chapter review: same here.  I assume this is mostly the editors
  task?! BTW, EDW38 seems to be truncated where it comes to the meat.

* Feature requests:  Currently there are 32 open, some of which look
  like they are easily solved, other should be more tricky, if
  agreeable at all.  This will require significant time and effort.
  BTW, I had the impression the global note issue was already solved?

* I agree that new material should not be a show stopper for P5.
  Things in the work now should be prepared to wait for 1.x

* While I am undecided on whether we need a module dependency, I think
  we need to avoid producing invalid schemata whenever feasible.  This
  includes detecting of (accidental?) deletion of essential elements.
  My students here got a schema from Roma yesterday that happily
  indicated TEI as the start element, although the element TEI was
  deleted (together with the complete textstructure module).

my 2 yen,

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern