[tei-council] adding (non-)Struct elements to <date> & <time>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Jun 10 19:29:06 EDT 2006

Syd Bauman wrote:

>> P.P.P.S. Is there an argument for adding <date> and <time> to
>> att.datePart other than mimicking the properties of <dateStruct>
>> and <timeStruct>? That is, do we anticipate needing those
>> attributes for the elements in question?
>>

> The attributes are:
>   * value=
>     Makes a lot of sense to have it from a class, but it does mean
>     enduring the (unwanted?) side-effect of permitting xsd:duration
>     values.
>   * type=
>     I think there is an argument for keeping type= on <date> &
>     <time>.
>   * full=
>     I've yet to be convinced this attribute should be retained.

I'd be happy with the following resolution of these issues:

- remove xsd:duration alternate from the @value attribute

- if @type is to be retained (and I think it should) it should be
inherited from the typed class, or specified explicitly.  Let's not have
it inheritable from more than one class, at least!

- @full is otiose, redundant, rebarbative and Should Go Now.