[tei-council] TEI model classes future directions

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 24 16:11:45 EDT 2006

John A. Walsh wrote:

> Hmmm.  Then I wonder if elementSpec's could have something akin to the
> z-index CSS property.  Elements would be automatically assigned a
> z-index based on their context (i.e., order) in the ODD documents.
> But elements could have a z-index attribute explicitly set which would
> boost or lower their place in the sequence.  From an online reference:
> "The z-index property sets the stack order of an element. An element
> with greater stack order is always in front of another element with
> lower stack order. Note: Elements can have negative stack orders."
> But instead of stack order, something like a ODD's z-index attribute
> could specify an element's precedence in the sequence.

That's a sensible suggestion at first sight. It might require some thinking
about implementation. Currently I say:

 <xsl:for-each select="key('CLASSMEMBERS',$foo)">

(you can imagine what the key is, and what $foo is).

would adding

   <xsl:sort select="@z-index"/>
   <xsl:sort select="position()"/>

do the job? does position() do the right thing here?

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk