[tei-council] TEI model classes future directions

John A. Walsh jawalsh at indiana.edu
Wed May 24 16:48:31 EDT 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 4:11 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> John A. Walsh wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm.  Then I wonder if elementSpec's could have something akin to
>> the
>> z-index CSS property.  Elements would be automatically assigned a
>> z-index based on their context (i.e., order) in the ODD documents.
>> But elements could have a z-index attribute explicitly set which
>> would
>> boost or lower their place in the sequence.  From an online
>> reference:
>> "The z-index property sets the stack order of an element. An element
>> with greater stack order is always in front of another element with
>> lower stack order. Note: Elements can have negative stack orders."
>> But instead of stack order, something like a ODD's z-index attribute
>> could specify an element's precedence in the sequence.
>>
> That's a sensible suggestion at first sight. It might require some
> thinking
> about implementation. Currently I say:
>
>  <xsl:for-each select="key('CLASSMEMBERS',$foo)">
>
> (you can imagine what the key is, and what $foo is).
>
> would adding
>
>    <xsl:sort select="@z-index"/>
>    <xsl:sort select="position()"/>
>
> do the job? does position() do the right thing here?

I certainly don't know the intricacies of Roma/ODDs processing like
you do Sebastian, but at first glance, it looks like the <xsl:sort>
elements above would have the desired effect.  Before we get too far
along with this idea, I'd suggest a quick renaming of @z-index to
something more intelligible, like @sequence-index, @sequence-
precedence, or some such thing.

John