[tei-council] TEI model classes future directions

John A. Walsh jawalsh at indiana.edu
Wed May 24 15:58:17 EDT 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 7:20 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> John A. Walsh wrote:
>

>> What about something like classSpec/@sequence, which listed the
>> sequence of elements by referring to IDs?  This
>> classSpec at sequence  attribute (the default sequence) could be
>> overridden in the  elemenSpec with a modified sequence.
>>
> that can't work, because the members of the class vary according to
> which modules are loaded. a moduleSpec does not know until runtime
> which members it will get

Hmmm.  Then I wonder if elementSpec's could have something akin to
the z-index CSS property.  Elements would be automatically assigned a
z-index based on their context (i.e., order) in the ODD documents.
But elements could have a z-index attribute explicitly set which
would boost or lower their place in the sequence.  From an online
reference: "The z-index property sets the stack order of an element.
An element with greater stack order is always in front of another
element with lower stack order. Note: Elements can have negative
stack orders."  But instead of stack order, something like a ODD's z-
index attribute could specify an element's precedence in the sequence.