[tei-council] ongoing class struggle, plans

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon May 22 08:43:30 EDT 2006

Dear council members,

I trust that most of you have by now safely returned home and are now
slowly recovering from whatever pain this trip has induced on you.
While we did not get through with everything, I think we did a
reasonably well job at advancing towards a release of P5 1.0 and hope
that you also enjoyed other aspects of this trip.

Back to business.  While we are waiting for the minutes to appear,
some thoughts on the open ends, as I see them.

I was hoping (and still am, in fact) that we can finish the class work
very soon now. As far as I can see, only the names-dates report is
still missing, but that will hopefully come in soon (MatthewD,
Laurent -- when do you think this will be ready?)  I would like to ask
the editors to work the remaining comments into the paper and present
it to us, if possible within the next month.

Once we have that done, we might be ready to announce another
prerelease (0.5?)

I would also like to ask the editors to update the document edw81.xml
to reflect our discussions.  I think it would be good, if we could use
this document to track the status of each chapter, so that we can
always easily find out where it is.  For that purpose, I suggest that
for every individual task (e.g. "check class structure",  "check
examples", "revise prose" and whatever), an additional column be added
and an indicator be inserted once the task has been completed.  This
document could then even be made visible to those who want to track
the status of our development, for example translators.

Another thought that came me on my (admittedly short) trip home.
Wouldnt it be nice if TEI customizations could by itself be a module?
That would allow immediate inclusion of other things (for example the
new PERS stuff, but also EpiDoc for the sake of an example) into
existing customizations.  This would of course require to allow module
dependencies, but I tend to the view that in the long run we will be
forced to consider them anyway.

All the best,

Christian

--