[tei-council] More on TEI Lite: work in progress

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Feb 20 17:20:18 EST 2006

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> James Cummings wrote:
>

>> In teaching today Lou and Sebastian did mention that we were using a
>> subset of TEI called TEI-Lite, but proceeded also to describe the TEI
>> modules, class system, etc. before having students use Roma to
>> customise the TEI themselves.
>

> and I don't think anyone had much of an issue with doing this
> (http://www.tei-c.org/Talks/2006/OUCS/exercise-roma.pdf). Interestingly,
> the question was "why do we bother? why not just use tei-all?", to
> which I had no real answer. Arguments in favour of a subset come down
> to making editing work faster, and making sure you stick to your own
> rules. If neither of those bothers you, you might as well have the
> whole shebang.

Yes, I mean obviously when employing a number of people to all work on
the same project then (as I believe you said this afternoon) the more
you can constrain them the better.

Instead of using Roma to 'build up' an ODD containing just the
elements you need, maybe it is a better pedagogic exercise to start
with an ODD containing everything TEI offers and selectively remove
all those unnecessary modules.  Then remove all those other elements
you don't want for your teaching purposes but are in modules you
otherwise need.  This highlights that TEI has lots and lots of 'stuff'
but that you aren't going to need it in this one case.

-James