[tei-council] Facsimile work

Conal Tuohy Conal.Tuohy at vuw.ac.nz
Tue Dec 20 17:01:41 EST 2005

> > I have created a page on the wiki with some notes about the
> > Facsimile work item (I've categorised it as a SIG on the Wiki).
> > http://www.tei-c.org/wiki/index.php/SIG:Facsimile

Syd:
> Wow, quick work Conal. Excellent. Page itself looks good, if
> (understandably at this point) a bit sketchy.

I've had some correspondence with Dot and I expect to put up some more
stuff this week based on that, BTW. I'll post to the list when I have.
I'm off to the beach for my holidays on Monday, away from internet,
mobile phones - even electricity - so I want to get in on the wiki
before then, in case anyone is interested to see it over the next couple
of weeks :-)

> One question or perhaps
> nit-pick. From the introduction:
>
>    "... about markup of facsimile images with correspondence to parts
>     of the text."
>
> I had thought of the effort more as about how one encodes the
> correspondence of encoded text with an image of its source, and
> perhaps about how one encodes metadata about that image. But the
> actual markup of facsimile images seems to me to mean something
> somewhat different, and out of scope.

I had originally thought that too. Actually my own agenda is to provide
a simple markup, as well as a slightly more complex markup which would
have linked image files to text, but Dot's work convinced me otherwise.
I now think that TEI markup should allow the links between images and
text to be more granular in that a link might just point to a region
within the image. Probably just using inline SVG, though, so it
shouldn't make the TEI markup too image-flavoured, though I think it
will mean that the links should be "stand-off".

> Did you actually want this to be a SIG, or just stuck it there for
> lack of a better place on the wiki? If the latter, let's put our
> heads together with James and find or create a better place.

It's as James says; I just stuck it there (on his suggestion) because it
was SIG-ish, and I hadn't really considered setting one up formally. Now
that you mention it though, I think it is a good idea, since it's not
just me.

> If you really want this to be a SIG, there is a relatively
> unobtrusive procedure to follow. I just realized that the procedure
> for SIG creation is described in a document to which only the Board
> of Directors has access. I'm not sure why that is, and will write to
> the Board about it soon. In the meantime, here's a quick summary:
>
> * Send mail to SIG coordinator (currently Susan S., I think)
>   requesting SIG. Request should include
>   - brief description of SIG mission (can be 1 sentence, basically
>     exists to prove you know "TEI" does not stand for "Tax Executives
>     Institute" (see http://www.tei-c.org/Publicity/not_the_tei.htm if
>     you haven't already))

LOL!

>   - name & e-mail addr of contact person

OK. I have done this. Hope Susan is the right person! If not she will no
doubt let me know.

> * SIG coordinator presents SIG to Council, who vote approval or
>   disapproval Council has never disapproved, and I doubt they ever
>   will -- this step exists mostly to ensure
>   a) Council is kept in the loop, and
>   b) we don't have 2 SIGs doing same thing who don't know about each
>      other

I don't imagine this will be any more controversial than usual :-)