[tei-council] Facsimile work

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Dec 22 09:55:53 EST 2005

> I'm off to the beach for my holidays on Monday, ...

Oooohhh ...

> ... so I want to get in on the wiki before then, in case anyone is
> interested to see it over the next couple of weeks :-)

Good of you.

> I now think that TEI markup should allow the links between images
> and text to be more granular in that a link might just point to a
> region within the image. Probably just using inline SVG, though, so
> it shouldn't make the TEI markup too image-flavoured, though I
> think it will mean that the links should be "stand-off".

Whether such links are stand-off or in-line is an issue for
discussion, but the ability to point to a particular area of an image
is, IMHO, almost a requirement of TEI P5 markup. (After all, P4 could
do it, albeit only in a rudimentary manner:
http://www.tei-c.org/P4X/SA.html#SAXR1SP.)

The Stand-Off Markup, XLink and XPointer WG has a paper that, IIRC,
addresses this topic:
http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/SO/sow04.xml?style=printable.